Northeastern REMC Receives United Way’s 2017 ACTS of SERVICE Award
On Tuesday, September 26, volunteers from Northeastern REMC rolled up their sleeves to once again participate in United Way of Whitley County’s annual Day of Caring event. Team REMC’s project site was at the Passages Creative Learning Center, a local nonprofit organization that supports residents in Whitley County who have intellectual disabilities. While at Passages, the team painted a very long and large wooden fence that runs along the building’s property line. One side of the fence will be used as mural space for clients at Passages to showcase their outstanding creativity and artistic skill.
This year’s United Way Day of Caring event was the largest in recent history with 373 volunteers, 37 teams and 62 project sites ! We are grateful for all our volunteers who spent the day in 90+ degree heat giving back to organizations and individuals throughout Whitley County.
Thank you, Northeastern REMC, for continuing to make a difference in Whitley County ! We appreciate your support and all you do in our community!
In addition to volunteering time at United Way’s Day of Caring event, Northeastern REMC was also recognized as United Way of Whitley County’s 2017 ACTS OF SERVICE award recipient. United Way’s ACTS OF SERVICE award goes to a local company that gives back to our local community in a variety of ways. Northeastern REMC is an outstanding example of what giving back looks like and we did not have to go far to find their imprint on this community. Below are just a few of the ways Northeastern REMC has given back to support Whitley County over the past year:
- Northeastern REMC recently assisted the Crooked Lake Property Owner’s Association with erecting an Osprey nesting platform on the northern side of the lake. NREMC donated the 70 foot long pole and erected it along the shore after voluneers had mounted a 2′ x 2′ wood resting framework to the top. The pole has a camera so that nesting and hatching activity can be observed 24/7 on a live web cam during nesting season which is March – July. This is the only Osprey cam in Indiana and only one of about a dozen in the entire United States.
- Northeastern REMC proudly sponsored Honor Flight of NE Indiana, flight #23 on April 26, 2017.
- Northeastern REMC employees took on a special project to help rejuvenate the community ballpark in Larwill, IN. New lights were installed, trees trimmed, fences repaired and playground equipment replaced. In gratitude for the work done, the Larwill ballpark trustees renamed the field Northeastern REMC Field.
- Northeastern REMC recently awarded two 11th grade students the opportunity of a lifetime to visit the nation’s capital as part of the 2017 Indiana Youth Tour to Washington D.C. These students joined more than 1400 students from 47 states for this all expense-paid week long experience. Participants visited the Flight 93 and Pentagon 9/11 Memorials, Gettysburg Battlefield, Arlington National Cemetery, Smithsonian, the National Mall and other selected points of interest while in the nation’s capital.
- Northeastern REMC continues to promote Operation Roundup which allows their members to round up their bill to the nearest dollar and the overage is donated to support the work of local nonprofit organizations. Recent recipients of the funds received through Operation Roundup have been: The Lighthouse Interfaith Mission, Churubusco Childcare Center, Grace Lutheran Church Food Bank, The Center for Whitley County Youth and Junior Achievement. (All the information above has been taken directly from the Northeastern REMC website)
Northeastern REMC has been a long time partner with United Way of Whitley County and we were honored to have the opportunity to recognize them for the outstanding work they do in our community and for all the ways they make a difference and improve the lives of residents throughout Whitley County. THANK YOU !!!
Northeastern REMC joins a distinguished list of businesses who have also been awarded United Way’s ACTS OF SERVICE award over the past five years including: STAR Financial Bank, Steel Dynamics Inc., Parkview Whitley Hospital and J & J Insurance Solutions.