Community Chest is the area of United Way of Whitley County that focuses on responding to crisis situations that happen within our county. Whether it is an individual crisis, or a community-wide crisis, there should be a place for people to go in order to find assistance.
Providing assistance to those in crisis situations in Whitley County is focused on the following areas:
- Funding for general crisis response situations
- Support for organizations that provide short-term funding/support for families in need
In 2017 United Way of Whitley County invested in the following crisis response related programs:
- YWCA Domestic Violence Services ~ support for victims of domestic violence in Whitley County
- Cancer Services of NE Indiana ~ individualized support for persons dealing with a cancer diagnosis
- Northeast Indiana CASA ~ volunteer training and support to provide children a voice in judicial proceedings
- The Bowen Center ~ funding to start an LGBTQ support group for residents of Whitley County
- Children First Center ~ funding to support clinical therapists to work with at risk families in Whitley County
In addition, United Way of Whitley County uses Community Chest to fund SPECIAL PROJECTS within the county that have the potential to enhance the quality of life for individuals in the county, making Whitley County a stronger place to live, work, and raise a family.